- 400g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x sticks celery, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- Several sprigs of fresh thyme, washed and picked
- 500g pumpkin, peeled and diced into 2 cm cubes
- 500g cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 aubergines, diced into 2cm cubes
- 100g almonds, skin off and chopped, such as marcona
- 100g golden raisins
- 200ml fresh apple juice
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon, capers, drained
- Handful of flat parsley, washed and chopped
First, make the tomato sauce by gently frying the onions in a little oil until soft. Add garlic, celery and fennel and continue to cook for five minutes. Add the fresh and tinned tomatoes and the thyme. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until thick and heavily reduced. Taste and adjust seasoning.
While the sauce is cooking, preheat the oven to 190oC. In two separate tins, dress the chopped pumpkin lightly in olive oil and a little salt and roast for 40 minutes until soft and a little caramelised. Halfway through, add the tray of cauliflower and aubergine and roast for 20 minutes, until golden.
In a small saucepan, gently heat the apple juice for 10 minutes and add the golden raisins, which will swell and plump up in the liquid. Drain and cool.
Mix the roasted vegetables gently together with the tomato sauce and stir in the soaked raisins, almonds, capers, vinegar and parsley. Best if you can leave overnight as the flavours mature and mingle together.